Maria Montessori Preschool
Maria Montessori Preschool is no longer accepting applications for the 2018-2019 school year.
Our program is at limited capacity at this time; please email the office if you wish to be placed on our waiting list.
Click here for details on our registration process and/or to be put on our waitlist.
Maria Montessori Preschool
Maria Montessori Preschool is located at City Park School 820 – 9th Avenue, Saskatoon.
MMS sparks a child’s natural curiosity and love of learning that will expand beyond the classroom and into the future.
We offer an excellent educational team with expertise in Montessori education methods and skilled at collaborating with families to meet each child’s individual needs.
The Pillars of Maria Montessori Preschool Program:
Montessori Trained Directress (Teacher)
2+ Hour Work Cycle
Montessori Directress We provide Montessori training to our Directresses (Teachers) so they have the tools and training to offer an exceptional program at MMS. Children in the Casa program have a Directress with a Bachelor of Education Degree. We have an amazing group of Directresses (Teachers) and Educational Assistants that work together to make our school a safe and inviting ‘second home’ for students. For more information on our staff please click here. Work Cycle The 2+ hour work cycle is an uninterrupted period of time in which the child chooses their own work (within guidelines). For our Casa and Stepping Stone programs this work cycle is adjusted for their age and development levels. Multi-Age Classrooms Multi-age classrooms develop and deepen relationships over time which fosters collaboration, co-operation, role modeling, mentoring and allows long term goal development.
Prepared Environment /Montessori Materials The classroom is prepared in such a way that students are inspired, and able, to learn independently. The Montessori materials are accessible, self-correcting, sensorial, experiential and age appropriate. Cosmic Education Children ages 3 – 5 years old are absorbed in experiencing their immediate environment The Five Great Lessons are used to paint a broad picture aimed at inspiring wonder and a desire to explore and learn more. They consist of:
- Coming of the Universe and the Earth
- Coming of Life
- Coming of Human Beings
- Communication in Signs (Language)
- The Story of Numbers (Maths)
Saskatchewan Curriculum The Saskatchewan Curriculum is the foundation of MMS’s academic education and is taught through the Montessori philosophy with the Montessori materials in a prepared environment. (Blueprint 1.2) MMS acknowledges:
- The SK Curriculum outcomes determine minimum basic skills for children at each level AND that the Montessori philosophy builds, deepens and expands the child’s individual learning allowing children to move beyond the SK Curriculum learning outcomes for each level/grade, if they are ready
- The SK Curriculum for PreK and Kindergarten programming is a play based approach AND that programming at the Casa Level in MMS will be delivered with the Montessori approach to learning, encompassing the skills required through a play based approach, in order to meet provincial standards.
Other Key Components of Our Program Include:
- Practical Life – To prepare and equip children for life; includes care of self, care of others and care of environment, as well as how to function effectively in society. Purpose- to develop concentration, attend to detail, sequential actions, and good work habits
- Montessori Directress as Proactive Guide – Create environment for self-learning, model behaviors and focus on guiding each child in their individualized self-learning encouraging them to master each skill and attain their potential.
- Parent/Directress/Student Team – Partnership between all three with open communication and trust built over multi-year cycle. The aim of the team is to support the child’s success in learning.
- Peace Education – Peace education aims to create harmonious and sustainable relationships between individuals, communities, cultures and the environment. Provide daily opportunities for students to develop an understanding of commitment to non-violent ways of reducing or resolving conflict. “Establishing lasting peace is the work of education; all politics can do is keep us out of war.” Maria Montessori
- Montessori education offers an educational philosophy that focuses on:
- Following the child ie individualised learning through respect of: stages of development, each child’s natural desire to learn, their abilities, pace of learning, styles of learning and interest
- Encouraging each child to be an active, responsible, lifelong learner by fostering independence, self-determination and self-regulation at all levels. This is done by offering an uninterrupted extended work-cycle within a prepared environment in which to learn and practice these skills
- Providing multi-age classrooms where children learn to work collaboratively with their peers; experience the benefits of moving from being mentored to mentoring, leading and role modeling for their peers; developing strong relationships with peers and teachers as well as the opportunity to set long term goals.
- Peace education through modelling and teaching ‘Grace & Courtesy’, conflict resolution, character values and global citizenship.
- Practical Life: Preparing each child for transitions they will face by teaching life skills.
Why Maria Montessori Preschool?
- The Montessori philosophy is the framework of our programming which ensures the Saskatchewan curriculum is met.
- We are affiliated with the North American Montessori Teachers’ Association and a member of the International Montessori Council (IMC)
- Provide a respectful, peaceful & positive environment – grace and courtesy are key components at the Casa level (preschool) Supports multicultural understanding and inclusivity
- Fosters Independence & Builds Confidence
- Inspires a Love of Learning
- Encourages Initiative, Perseverance & Persistence
- A safe environment for all children to learn and explore
- Before and Aftercare program available for all children
- Monthly Community Meetings for students, staff and parents involvement
We have a very involved and enthusiastic school community. Parent involvement plays a key role in the success of our school!
Before & After Care Program at City Park
We offer a Before and After Care program at City Park for all children ages 2 to 13 years old. Before care begins at 7:30 am. After care ends at 5:30 pm. Please email us at email@example.com to find out how to register. Form must be completed for your child to attend the program.
Follow our Facebook page at ‘The Maria Montessori Preschool Inc. of Saskatoon (MMS)’ for some interesting Montessori facts and school information throughout the year.
More about us
“Our care of the children should be governed not by the desire to ‘make them learn things’, but by the endeavor always to keep burning within them the light which is called intelligence.”
Dr. Maria Montessori
Why our families selected MMS for their children:
Because it is known for exceptional teachers, small class sizes and like minded Montessori families.
Originally for stable childcare at the preschool level. We stayed because our son has needs and is really benefitting from his set up and Miss Kimberly has been so incredibly kind to him.
Felt it was important, feared entering into a non-Montessori program would actually be 2-3 steps back in learning for my child.
As a former substitute teacher, who taught across the city I can see the difference. What these kids are learning now, some kids do not learn until grade 4 or 5!
Both of our kids spent three years at MMS and it has been very good for them both. We were very happy with their experiences there.
The kindergarten program at Maria Montessori is an amazing program. Individual programming at this level is an amazing opportunity that the teachers took seriously. The small classes and great student teacher ratio at MMS is so important in education. A focus on education. Thank you.