Maria Montessori School
Maria Montessori Preschool is now accepting applications for Stepping Stones, Casa and Kindergarten for September 2016 at City Park. Click here for details.
*We offer a Before and After Care program at City Park for all children. Before care begins at 7:30 am and after care ends at 5:30 pm. Click here for details.
Check out our Facebook page at ‘The Maria Montessori Preschool and Elementary, Inc. of Saskatoon (MMS)’ for some great pictures of all the adventures Middle Years (Grade 6-8) had this year! AND follow us for some interesting Montessori facts and information throughout the year.
Maria Montessori Elementary Grade 1 to Grade 8 joins the Saskatoon Public School Division
Maria Montessori Grade 1 to Grade 8 program will join the Saskatoon Public Schools beginning in the 2016-17 school year at City Park. This will be the first public Montessori program in Saskatchewan.
Maria Montessori Preschool & Kindergarten
Maria Montessori Preschool will lease space at City Park School to continue offering a preschool and kindergarten program for children age 2-5. This program will be operated independently from the school division.
MMS sparks a child’s natural curiosity and love of learning that will expand beyond the classroom and into the future.
We offer an excellent educational team with expertise in Montessori education methods and skilled at collaborating with families to meet each child’s individual needs. Our highly trained staff have individual specialties in French, Music and Art
Pillars of Maria Montessori Preschool Program:
- 2+ Hour Work Cycle
- Multi-Age Classes
- Prepared Environment
- Cosmic Education
- Montessori Directress
- Saskatchewan Curriculum
The 2+ hour work cycle is an uninterrupted period of time in which the child chooses their own work (within guidelines). For our Casa and Stepping Stone programs this work cycle is adjusted for their age and development levels.
Multi-age classrooms develop and deepen relationships over time which fosters collaboration, co-operation, role modeling, mentoring and allows long term goal development.
Prepared Environment /Montessori Materials
The classroom is prepared in such a way that students are inspired, and able, to learn independently. The Montessori materials are accessible, self-correcting, sensorial, experiential and age appropriate.
Children ages 3 – 5 years old are absorbed in experiencing their immediate environment
The Five Great Lessons are used to paint a broad picture aimed at inspiring wonder and a desire to explore and learn more. They consist of:
- Coming of the Universe and the Earth
- Coming of Life
- Coming of Human Beings
- Communication in Signs (Language)
- The Story of Numbers (Maths)
We provide Montessori training to our Directresses so they have the tools and training to offer an exceptional program at MMS.
The Saskatchewan Curriculum is the foundation of MMS’s academic education and is taught through the Montessori philosophy with the Montessori materials in a prepared environment. (Blueprint 1.2) MMS acknowledges:
- The SK Curriculum outcomes determine minimum basic skills for children at each level AND that the Montessori philosophy builds, deepens and expands the child’s individual learning allowing children to move beyond the SK Curriculum learning outcomes for each level/grade, if they are ready
- The SK Curriculum for PreK and Kindergarten programming is a play based approach AND that programming at the Casa Level in MMS will be delivered with the Montessori approach to learning, encompassing the skills required through a play based approach, in order to meet provincial standards.
Other Key Components of Our Program Include:
- Practical Life – To prepare and equip children for life; includes care of self, care of others and care of environment, as well as how to function effectively in society. Purpose- to develop concentration, attend to detail, sequential actions, and good work habits
- Montessori Directress as Proactive Guide – Create environment for self-learning, model behaviors and focus on guiding each child in their individualized self-learning encouraging them to master each skill and attain their potential.
- Parent/Directress/Student Team – Partnership between all three with open communication and trust built over multi-year cycle. The aim of the team is to support the child’s success in learning.
- Peace Education – Peace education aims to create harmonious and sustainable relationships between individuals, communities, cultures and the environment. Provide daily opportunities for students to develop an understanding of commitment to non-violent ways of reducing or resolving conflict. “Establishing lasting peace is the work of education; all politics can do is keep us out of war.” Maria Montessori
- Montessori education offers an educational philosophy that focuses on:
- Following the child ie individualised learning through respect of: stages of development, each child’s natural desire to learn, their abilities, pace of learning, styles of learning and interest
- Encouraging each child to be an active, responsible, lifelong learner by fostering independence, self-determination and self-regulation at all levels. This is done by offering an uninterrupted extended work-cycle within a prepared environment in which to learn and practice these skills
- Providing multi-age classrooms where children learn to work collaboratively with their peers; experience the benefits of moving from being mentored to mentoring, leading and role modeling for their peers; developing strong relationships with peers and teachers as well as the opportunity to set long term goals.
- Peace education through modelling and teaching ‘Grace & Courtesy’, conflict resolution, character values and global citizenship.
- Practical Life: Preparing each child for transitions they will face by teaching life skills.
Why Maria Montessori Preschool & Elementary?
- The Montessori philosophy is the framework of our programming which ensures the Saskatchewan curriculum is met.
- We are affiliated with the North American Montessori Teachers’ Association and a member of the International Montessori Council (IMC)
- Provide a respectful, peaceful & positive environment – grace and courtesy are key components at the Casa level (preschool) Supports multicultural understanding and inclusivity
- Fosters Independence & Builds Confidence
- Inspires a Love of Learning
- Encourages Initiative, Perseverance & Persistence
- A safe environment for all children to learn and explore
- Before and Aftercare program available for all children
- Monthly Community Meetings for students, staff and parents involvement
We have a very involved and enthusiastic school community. Parent involvement plays a key role in the success of our school!
More about us
“You can’t understand Google,” says Wired, “unless you know [its founders] were Montessori kids… In a Montessori school, you paint because you have something to express or you just want to… not because the teacher said so. This is baked into Larry and Sergey… it’s how their brains were programmed early on.”
SERGEY BRIN & LARRY PAGE – Google founders
Montessori Method Video
“Our care of the children should be governed not by the desire to ‘make them learn things’, but by the endeavor always to keep burning within them the light which is called intelligence.”
Dr. Maria Montessori
NEW – MMS Success Plan Summary is available online. The MMS Staff and Board members have worked diligently over this past year to complete this document which outlines our core values, vision, etc.