Maria Montessori Preschool (MMS) Inc. of Saskatoon offers all children a safe, respectful, child-centred learning environment that encourages them to be authentic, confident and compassionate; to thrive in their unique potential academically, socially and emotionally.
Who We Are:
MMS was established in 1997 and has provided an engaging prepared environment for all Saskatoon and area children. As of 2016, MMS offers Montessori education to children ages 18 months to 6 years old at City Park School. The Saskatoon Public School Division has continued the Montessori program for Grade 1 to Grade 8 at City Park School. (There is no affiliation between MMS and SPSD)
In 2018, MMS became the first licensed Montessori Preschool in Saskatchewan. We are licensed with the Ministry of Education, Early Years. Our license number is 1115931.
MMS is affiliated with the North American Montessori Teachers’ Association (NAMTA) and a member of the International Montessori Council (IMC). The integrity of our programming is upheld by our committed Montessori educators in every classroom to ensure your child receives a first-rate Montessori education. Meet our team here!
What is Montessori at MMS?
Our classrooms have the following fundamental Montessori characteristics at all levels:
- A classroom atmosphere which encourages social interaction for cooperative learning, peer teaching and emotional development
- A schedule which allows large blocks of time to problem-solve, to see connections, and to create new ideas
- A diverse set of Montessori materials, activities, and experiences which are designed to foster physical, intellectual, creative, social, and personal independence
- A partnership established with the family.
- Teachers educated in the Montessori philosophy and the methodology for the age level they are teaching, who have the ability and dedication to put the key concepts into practice
- A multi-aged, multi-graded heterogeneous grouping of students
To prepare and equip children for life – includes care of self, care of others and care of the environment, as well as how to function effectively in society. The purpose of Practical Life activities is to develop concentration, attend to detail, sequential actions, fine motor skills, and good work habits.
Proactive Guides (Teachers):
Teachers create an environment for self-learning, model behaviours, and focus on guiding each child in their individualized learning by encouraging them to master each skill and attain their full potential.
The partnership between all three with open communication and trust built over a multi-year cycle helps to build our strong community. The aim of the team is to support the child’s success in learning.
The 2+ hour work cycle is an uninterrupted period of time in which children are able to explore the prepared environment and engage with materials of their own choosing (within guidelines). This time is meant to give them opportunities to enjoy the work they love, while also cultivating basic life skills and concentration.
Prepared Environment /Montessori Materials:
The classroom is prepared in such a way that students are inspired, and able, to learn independently. The Montessori materials are accessible, self-correcting, sensorial, experiential and age appropriate.
Peace education aims to create harmonious and sustainable relationships between individuals, communities, cultures and the environment. MMS provides daily opportunities for students to develop an understanding of a healthy approach to conflict and gives them tools to resolve it.
Multi-age classrooms develop and deepen relationships over time which fosters collaboration, co-operation, role modelling, mentoring and allows long-term goal development.
Each child is a confident leader who is authentic, innovative and caring.
MMS sparks a child’s natural curiosity and love of learning that will expand beyond the classroom and into the future.
MMS believes in providing a respectful, peaceful, and purposeful environment for everyone and believes in creating opportunities for students to:
● Express themselves authentically
● Discover their personal strengths, skills, and talents
● Recognize experiences they find meaningful
Our Core Values:
- it is all about the students
- in a community dedicated to delivering on its purpose
- in our Maria Montessori Preschool community (students, staff, alumni, families, and friends) being involved in contributing to the broader community and having a global perspective
- in providing a respectful, peaceful, and positive environment for everyone
- in creating opportunities for students to express themselves authentically, creatively, and to be leaders, innovators, and entrepreneurs, if they choose
Do not tell them how to do it. Show them how to do it and do not say a word. If you tell them, they will watch your lips move. If you show them, they will want to do it themselves. ~ Maria Montessori